Northeast UMC Announcements
Updated July 26, 2022
- June 26: The first Sunday of new pastoral leadership: Tyler Sit
- Community Meals to get to know Pastor Tyler Sit
- Sunday July 17 at 6 pm at Mary & Jeff Halet’s home
- Wednesday July 20 at 5:30 pm at Roger & Nelda Hart’s home.
- Monday August 8 at 5:00 pm at Barb Draper’s home
- Wednesday August 10 at 5:30 pm at Shirley & Bill Jackson’s home.
Worship Changes Beginning on June 5, 2022
To simplify our worship technology, the pastors and Servant Leadership Board have decided to make a few changes to our Sunday morning worship starting on June 5, 2022. These changes may end up being short-term changes which may change again when the new pastoral leadership gets started, but for now, starting June 5, 2022, these changes will occur:
- Worship streaming will no longer be available on Zoom and will only be available on Facebook. To watch worship online, you can go to www.facebook.com/NortheastMpls or www.northeastumc.com (there will be a link at the bottom of the webpage) and watch the live stream. You do NOT need to be on Facebook to be able to access it.
- Worship liturgy will no longer be projected and we will begin using a very simple bulletin format.
Minnesota Annual Conference 2022 Updates
The yearly gathering of Minnesota United Methodist pastors and lay leaders occurred last week. At this gathering, voting members overwhelmingly approved four pieces of legislation focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI):
- One charges the conference to contract with an outside auditor who has experience in DEI work to perform an equity audit of human resources at the conference level in order to increase equity in hiring practices, employee compensation and procedures, and employee recruiting and retention at the conference level.
- Another charges the Cabinet to prioritize the recruitment of candidates of color and LGBTQIA+ candidates for open positions in order to create a more diverse conference leadership team.
- And a third stipulates that the conference’s part-time racial justice organizer position will be made into a full-time, director-level position on the Extended Cabinet by January 2023.
- Meanwhile, voting members approved by a margin of 339-36 a piece of legislation that calls for the Minnesota Conference to hold a storytelling space before the 2026 Annual Conference that would allow Minnesota United Methodists to tell stories that resulted from the Book of Discipline policy stating that homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching.
Other highlights from the gathering can be found online here.
Property Updates: A Church Conference voted to authorize the Servant Leadership Board (SLB) to begin the process of sale of Northeast UMC’s two parsonages (2514 & 2535 Cleveland St. NE) after worship on April 3. The Church Conference was presided over by Superintendent Rev. Dan Johnson, and the vote passed by a tally of 28 to 1. Votes of this sort require only a 2/3rds majority.
Praying & Caring for One Another
We want to make sure we are continuing to pray and care for one another as best as we can. If you are ever in need of prayer (and when aren’t we these days?!), please remember that you can request prayer in these ways:
- Submit a request through our website HERE
- Call the church phone number (612.789.7462) and leave a message which will be passed along to our Prayer Team
- Share a request during Joys & Concerns time at worship
Interested in Feeding People?
- Church gardening on Mondays from 4-6:30pm
- Meals on Wheels Drivers needed
- Monthly Community Meal – 2nd Saturdays of the month
- Monthly Mobile Meal Ministry – 3rd Saturdays of the month
Servant Leadership Board
Our leadership board meets on the fourth Tuesdays of the month at 4:30pm to guide the present and future direction of our church to align with our mission, vision, and values. The SLB meets on the fourth Tuesdays of the month 4:30-6pm. If you would like to join, please contact Roger Hart to receive the joining info and participation guidance. SLB minutes are available monthly in the church newsletter.
Proof of Vaccine Upload Link HERE
Letter from the Servant Leadership Board (SLB)
Dear NEUMC Family –
Like the weather’s transition from winter to spring, our church is also experiencing a transition. We are emerging from the confines of the pandemic, acknowledging the way we worship is different now. We have lived through very tumultuous times in our society, recognizing the world is changing and evolving. We are waiting with anticipation for words from the conference, informing us who our new pastor will be. We are intending to sell our residential properties and use the proceeds to advance Christ’s ministry in our community. At times God whispers in our ears. And at times it feels as though God is shouting from the mountains, pleading with us to listen and follow.
We’ve been through a great deal and we wonder what is left to change or make new in our world. Yet we know change is constant. God molds and shapes us into disciples, so that we can share the good news! God is at work again in our church, preparing to show us where He wants us to place our hearts and attention.
As we ready ourselves for a new day at Northeast United Methodist Church, a prayer of surrender has been prepared for us. Nelda Hart penned these beautiful words. We will say this prayer every week in church, and I ask if you would also pray this prayer every day. We give our hearts and minds over to God, to bring us to a place of new beginning.
I pray for each of you, our community, and our world. May God give us all peace.